Collaborative & Artist-run Spaces
One way to get out there is to form a collaborative (or a cooperative) and curate your own shows. There are a lot of pros and const to collaborative spaces. Do your research before you jump in.
Consider the following:
- Who will the members be?
- Will you accept new members over time?
- How will you divvy up responsibilities?
- Will the group need to make decisions unanimously or by majority?
- Will this be a one-time thing or a long term project?
- Will every member get a show? How often?
- How do you decide what to show, whether to sell and what to price?
- What will the collaborative do with the money from the sales?
This can be an awkward conversation to start with your collaborators. But have this conversation at the start to avoid a shock later on when you realise your ideas differ vastly!
For more information read: